The “Historic James Lick Bath House” was originally built in 1890 and was one of the surviving structures of the 1906 earthquake. In 1908, repair from the damage was completed. The building was built by James Lick, a major historical figure in San Francisco and California history. It was originally a public bath house, a historic Chinese laundry in the 1920’s and ultimately an office building in the 1950’s.
Photo is right after the 1906 earthquake. Note that it is the only structure standing for blocks.
James R. Burns, II, along with partners purchased the building. The newly formed LLC renovated the building and land marked before ultimately seilling the building in 2004. The property sold for $3.6 million, one of the highest square foot sales at the time in the "South of Market" area.
One of the bath portions of the building, now home to a grand piano store.
James Lick Building today.